Wednesday, March 14, 2012

What's better than wearing a baby?





With my first two kids, I fumbled with front-carriers to tote them around. By the time I got them awkwardly into the carrier, they wanted to be taken out and held again. After about five minutes of "sssshhh....ssssshh....this is nice. you like your carrier" I took them back out.  It was really more of a struggle than it was worth. I found myself in a constant state of fussing with adjusting straps, turning the carrier around because I put it on backwards or put my head through the arm hole, etc. I mean, moms are exhausted and out of our heads most of the time as it is...I don't think there should be that much thinking involved with something like this.

When I found out I was expecting #3, I decided to start looking at other options; after-all, if you do the math - One Mom + Three Children = Being Seriously Outnumbered. Of course, I'm a reader. I will read (ahem, obsess) about something until I just can't possibly stand it anymore and have to make a decision. I read review after review for just about every carrier on the market before settling on the Maya wrap.


Reasons for my decision: 

My third baby in her sling as a one year old.
  1. It's practical. It's a one piece deal that comes with a little matching bag. It can easily be folded (or balled up...which we all know is what moms of a bunch of kids do) and thrown in the diaper bag. 
  2. It's easy to use. I watched a ton of videos and testimonials; getting baby in and out of the wrap looked easy (and it was).
  3. It holds all sizes of babies - teenie little babies, big toddler babies, and everyone in between. I've held my daughter in this wrap as a newborn and I've held her in it as a toddler. It's totally functional. 
  4. It's washable. Um, if you have a child that spits up or poops - this is essential. 
  5. It's pretty. I actually ordered the wrap shown in the stock photo above (because I figured it would match everything; My second choice would be to get a black wrap, but I thought that would get too hot for baby AND there'd be no disguising baby dirt. 
  6. It's a good shield. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it makes me a little nervous when strangers ask to hold my newborn or touch/kiss him or her without asking. This carrier is a deterrent. I think people are either freaked out by baby wearing or they think you're carrying a small dog. I'm not sure. Either way, the random baby touching was kept to a minimum with this carrier.  
  7. It has a pocket. How sweet is that? You can carry your baby AND your keys at the same time. I know myself and the chances of leaving one or the other somewhere is more likely if both aren't contained in the same place. 
  8. It has a tail. Oh the endless uses. You can use the tail as a nursing cover for a little more privacy; a spit-up rag (hey, you do what you gotta do), or a little wind protection for baby. I found that extra fabric really helpful. 
  9. It's not super thick hot fabric. I think the other reason my kids, especially when they were really little, didn't like front carriers is because they get hot and sweaty so easily. I like it that this fabric is thinner and you can just dress baby to his or her comfort. 
My only regret - not buying one two babies ago. 


Click here to pin this yourself. 

This post is linked up to Mommin' it Up's Pin for the Wednesday blog carnival. Head on over to check out the other awesome pins posted by Mommin' it Up followers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!