Monday, April 9, 2012

Do I have to help her pick up her toys?

"Yes. She's your sister and, it's the prayer of my heart that you two will be sisters bound not just by blood, but in Christ. It's your job to help her." This is the conversation that transpired as I engaged in a round and round battle with our oldest girl about helping her sister pick up the toys scattered about her room."Why do I have to?" she pleaded repeatedly while pouting. I said, "she is your little sister; it's your job to help her ALL your life with things she's not yet able to understand."


Though this is a juvenile example, it translates almost seamlessly to how we older women go about our duties sometimes when it comes to helping another sister. Why should we help? After-all, we have things to do and places to go that keep us busy in our own little corners of the world. We have our kids, and our families, and our small groups, our own problems, phone calls to make, emails to answer, blogs to read, groceries to buy...the list goes on and on. So, why should we? The Bible says so. Is that good enough for you? 
Titus 2:3-5 NIV Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God.
By abiding commands set forth in Titus 2 each day of our lives, we can simultaneously work through the responsibilities laid out of us in Proverbs 31.

As the soon-to-be mother of three girls and Christian woman (who's getting older by the second here), it's time that I start focusing more on Titus 2 myself; I want my girls to see how God is glorified by the workings of our heart to help other women - to stand beside them, to lift them up and show them what a heart for Christ looks like through observance of our own daily walk. I can think about times I should have come around a younger sister, and didn't; likewise, I can think of times when I needed sisterly fellowship, yet there was none. I can also think of several beautiful, graceful women who unquestionably live out Titus 2 - women who I am thrilled to call my sisters though we are only related by the blood of Jesus, not that of our birth mothers and fathers! I pray that the Lord gives me opportunities to teach, like Naomi and to listen and learn like Ruth. I pray also that my heart would pick up on every opportunity to serve and to work diligently for the Lord as He commands us to do. I pray that my girls will also work together and with their sisters around the world, to glorify God in the highest by all they do. Let's all pick up our toys together, shall we?



Grace Laced MondaysHow can I pray for you today?
This post is linked up to Grace Laced Mondays and Better Mom Mondays.

Hop on over to to those awesome sites to see who else is sharing.


2 comments:

  1. So true. Titus 2 reminds us that it takes training, and setting an example. We do not naturally serve or love our roles as women. God's grace provides the blessing of obedience and the sweetness of another's testimony lived out before us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!