Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Literally spreading the Word.

When December 25th rolls around this year, my husband and I will have spent 15 Christmases together  as a couple. A lot has happened in that time. We will have graduated high school, college, had four children, and celebrated eight years of marriage. No less, I still remember that first Christmas very well; in fact, the gift he gave me that year is something I still use all the time and has remained close by me each day. The gift page in my red leather covered KJV Bible says it was given to me, from him, on 12-25-98. I've sought refuge, deliverance and praise in the words contained in that book. I've studied the passages for my own good and the good of others. I read I Cor 13 repeatedly in preparation for our wedding from that book; I've also used it to instruct the hearts of our children. It's truly one of the most thoughtful gifts I've ever been given. I'm thankful that his 17 year old heart was convicted enough to make that Bible my Christmas gift all those years ago.

You know, the words written in that very same book instruct us to give - and to do so selflessly (Deut. 15:10 for starters). Have you ever thought of giving someone a Bible? I don't mean someone who you go to church with; a member of your small group; or, as an anonymous gift to charity. What about someone that you know is suffering? Someone who is rejecting any notion of God's presence or sovereignty? Someone who has never been to church? Someone who has professed hatred to you?

Or, have you been to scared to share the gospel in this very blatant way? There have been many times I've felt that way, too. 

There have also been times that we kept an extra stack of new Bibles at our house just for the sake of giving away. Sometimes we give and nothing happens; and, sometimes we give and it plants a seed of faith. We've given away a few Bibles over the years, but just yesterday one of my long-time friends reminded me of the Bible we gave her after a discussion about faith. She uses it in church each week; she went on to tell me how much she appreciated it and what she liked about that particular edition. That conversation made me think. We're quick to pray for others in our own private little worlds at home, but how often do we lay our hands on another person who needs prayer? How often do we hand over a Bible - our own beloved, tear-stained, ear-marked, underlined and highlighted, Bible even - to someone who could use it?

It's time to be just that deliberate about sharing our faith with others. Sometimes it's easy to feel like praying privately and wishing for the best that something will happen. But, I think we're called to go beyond ourselves and give with complete faith in prayer and in whatever we have. I'm very thankful my husband did that for me all those Christmases ago.

Some verses to consider:
  • Psalm119:46 - I will speak of Thy testimonies...and not be ashamed
  • Isaiah 40:9 - Lift up thy voice with strength; be not afraid
  • Isaiah 62:6b - Ye that make mention of the Lord, keep not silence
  • Mark 8:38 - Whosoever shall be ashamed of Me and of My Words...of him shall the Son of man be ashamed
  • Acts 18:9b - Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace
  • Romans 1:16 - I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ
  • 1 Thessalonians 2:2 - We were bold...to speak the gospel of God
  • 2 Timothy1:8a - Be not thou ashamed of the testimony of our Lord

This post is listed on the Time Warp Wife's Titus2sday blog link-up. Please head over to Darlene's site to check out all of the awesome blogs linked up today!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!