Monday, February 18, 2013

I'm dreaming of a clean donut....

Somewhere in the midst of one of my many daily kitchen clean-ups, our little six-year-old sugar-monger came dashing into the kitchen to proudly announce, "daddy said we can get donuts after dinner as a special treat!!!!"

Oh. joy.

You know what I love more than just about any food anywhere? Donuts.
You know what I don't love? People eating donuts in front of me.

I used to eat a few donuts a week (the person that first made donuts accessible via drive-thru line is totally evil, by the way!), now I save them for super special occasions. Just so you know, that didn't stop me from wanting one.

My gears started turning.

The hubs and I have been eating donuts together for almost 15 years now and nine times out of ten, we have a pretty standard order. He's blueberry cake and I'm Boston creme. Also, for about the same amount of time, he's been telling me how he'd love to catch one of the blueberry cake donuts before it gets glazed - certain they would taste best that way.

So, this afternoon, a new clean/unglazed blueberry cake donut came to life in our kitchen - bringing both of our dreams to fruition at once.

I've done a few baking experiments that were fit for pig slop and nothing more. However, this little experiment produced the blueberry donut of all blueberry donuts (we think). The general idea is based off of this recipe from Mom's Crazy Cooking, and made clean by yours truly. You will need a donut pan (like this one: Wilton Nonstick 6-Cavity Donut Pan). You'll also need to follow these simple instructions:

Here's what you need: 

  • 1 cup spelt flour
  • 1/2 cup sucanat (dried cane sugar)
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 TB vanilla almond milk (or whatever milk you have on hand)
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce (or two eggs)
  • 3 TB coconut oil
  • 2 TB water
  • 1/2-1 cup of blueberries (I used frozen and ran some hot water over them to thaw them out)
  • 1 tsp of Mexican vanilla (you can use regular)
Here's what you do:
  • Grease up that donut pan (I mist mine lightly with cooking spray)
  • In a medium size bowl, mix the dry ingredients.
  • In a mixing bowl, mix the wet ingredients (except the blueberries).
  • Add dry ingredients to mixing bowl, combine.
  • Gently fold in blueberries.
  • Fill each donut cavity about 2/3 full with batter. 
  • Bake at 325 degrees for 16-18 minutes.
  • Remove donuts from oven when they are firm (you can do a toothpick test for doneness, I suppose, but I just eyeballed and poked at mine).
  • Allow donuts to cool in the pan for five minutes or so. Transfer from pan to cooling rack and try not to eat them all before they are completely cool. 
These are husband, kid, and mom approved. Enjoy!

These yummy treats are egg and dairy free so we're linking up to share with our friends in the Allergy Free Wednesdays blog hop. Go check 'em out by clicking the button below. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!