Friday, March 22, 2013

Clean Eating Yum Alert: Broccoli bites, revisited.

Last month, I did a post on these fancy little things called broccoli bites. When I made the recipe initially, they were good, but lacked a little flavor. A friend from church joined us for lunch today, so I thought we'd give these another try with some modifications. These little darlings were SO much better this time that I thought a follow-up post was in order. Let me tell you how to do broccoli bites the right way!

Here's what you need:


  • 2 cups - broccoli florets (this time I used raw ready-to-eat broccoli and chopped it up in the ninja)
  • 3 eggs
  • A handful of shredded cheese - I used a medium sharp cheddar and some mozzarella. (I think my cheese choice made a huge difference this time!)
  • Minced garlic (about 1/2 tablespoon) - this was a key ingredient, too. The garlic made these things extra awesome!
  • Seasoned salt (a generous dash or two)
  • Cayenne pepper (just a quick dash)

Here's what you do:
  • Put your broccoli in the food processor and blast it into a million bajillion pieces (or chop it up super fine if you don't have a food processor). Transfer broccoli to a mixing bowl.
  • Add eggs, cheese, garlic, seasonings. Stir until fully incorporated.
  • Drop, by spoonfuls, into a mini-muffin tin (greased or filled with muffin liners)
  • I baked these adorable green muffins at 375 for about 20-25 minutes - just watch them, though. They smelled super good while cooking in the oven (thank you garlic!!).

And, while I was at it, I made some quesadillas (that's plain greek yogurt for dipping the quesadilla and fruit) and chia fruit salad (not as fancy as it sounds). It's just the fruit of your choice sprinkled with a little stevia and chia seeds! I'll be posting more about chia seeds later, after I have time to do more experimenting. For now, I know they're good on fruit and good in pudding. :) Standby for more.

PS. I'm sorry my dash of this, pinch of that directions aren't, you know, clear here. Exact measurements aren't super crucial in this recipe, just make sure the consistency is nice - not to runny or dry. Oh, and, don't over-do the cayenne! Also, don't use cayenne pepper then immediately rub your eyeballs. Ouch.

That is all (for now).

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!