Friday, August 30, 2013

Crispy Cheesy Veggie Quinoa Casserole

Perhaps I should think of a better name for this dish - one that's not so cumbersome. Marketing
friends? Anywho. If you've been reading my blog a while, you may note that I've posted similar variations of this recipe twice before. HOWEVER, unlike most of my kitchen experiments, this one just keeps getting better each time I make it! I want to share this recipe with you (again), so you can also experience the awesomeness that is quinoa and other (glorious) miscellany baked to perfection in a 9x13 pan - your family us sure to drool. K. Ready? Let's goooooo!!!

This recipe has three big parts, so I'm going to explain them to you how I see them in my head. I hope that makes sense. If not, you're going to have to do your best (sorrrrry).

Part 1: 


  • Cook up your quinoa! If you're new to this super-food, here's a good way to do it. Measure 1 cup of uncooked quinoa and rinse thoroughly. Measure 2 cups of cold water. Dump it all in your rice cooker, set it to cook, and go fold laundry until it says "Heyyyyyyyy yo, fresh-cooked quinoa is up!" Or clicks, or beeps, or whatever. You know. If you don't have a rice cooker (get one; I promise, you need it) or follow the package directions.

Part 2: 

  • Sauté your veggies. You can do this however you usually sauté veggies. I use some grape seed oil, sea salt and a little garlic to sauté ours. Just cook over medium-heat until they are nicely tender (aka - you can stick a fork in 'em). 
Part 3: 
  • Start workin' the casserole dish.
    • Add quinoa
    • Add veggies
    • Add a handful of cheese
    • Add a teaspoon-ish of salt
    • Sprinkle entire contents with pepper
    • Sprinkle entire contents with onion powder
    • Gently incorporate all ingredients listed above.
    • Pour 1/2 cup of milk (I used almond) on top of all ingredients and, again, incorporate all. If the ingredients seem too dry, add more milk - about 1/4 cup at a time. You don't want quinoa soup. (Or maybe you do? Maybe that will be my next variation). 
    • Once incorporated, sprinkle another handful of cheese atop the casserole.
    • Sprinkle PANKO breadcrumbs across the top of the cheese (don't be using regular breadcrumbs, now; we don't skimp on cheese OR breadcrumbs around here).
    • Sprinkle a little paprika across the breadcrumbs. I don't really know what this does aside from making the casserole pretty. It's pretty much optional (I guess.)
    • Toss it in the oven. About 375 for 25 or so minutes (watch for the cheese to melt and the casserole to feel firm). Now, go fold more laundry and wait for it. 
Part 4:
  • Basque in the awesomeness that is this quick, protein-rich and easy meal! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!