Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Egg Muffins (Again).

A couple posts back, I told you how I wanted to ensure diet accountability through a Pinterest Board (aka pictorial food journal). I've actually been doing it, you guys! And, guess what, it's working!! I've lost about 5lbs doing this! Since I've been tracking my eats, I noticed a really ugly trend evolving - I kept grabbing Luna bars for breakfast. Now, I'm not trying to hate on the Luna bar. It's not entirely evil; BUT, it's not the best breakfast option for this girl. I know that if I start the day with protein, I'm not going to experience those highs and lows related to sugar dependency throughout the day. Research proves that protein is a great way to combat sugar cravings. SO, I went on a quest for a breakfast that's grab and go (because I'll probably never be up early enough to sit down for breakfast on a weekday during the school year). And, I remembered my old friend, the egg muffin. 

These are SO delicious. Think of them as mini-omelets. You can customize them however you like your omelets! The batch I made yesterday included the following: eggs (duh); spinach (thawed from frozen); minced onion; garlic salt; a touch of sea salt; ground black pepper; and some Romano cheese. Most of the recipes you read will say use a dozen eggs or something of that nature. If you don't have a dozen eggs to spare, don't worry. You can still make these. You're just going to get fewer muffins out of the batch. Whisk it all together in a mixing bowl (preferably one with a pour-spout) and then pour into a greased muffin pan. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes. Cool and enjoy! I warmed two up in the microwave this morning (about 15 seconds) and topped with Sriracha sauce. 

I'm going to invest in a silicone muffin pan or two. Even with a greased tin, these still tend to stick a little. :) I hope you make them, and enjoy them! I think I'll add some bacon and a spinach/kale mix to the next batch. Also note, I am generous with the seasonings I add. I think they would be bland without. 

PS. If you want an occasional Luna bar alternative, there are plenty of yummy recipes online OR you can try Lara bars. They contain very few ingredients and seem pretty clean to me. 

1 comment:

  1. You might also check out a silicone coated steel pan. I have one from USA Pan and it's amazing. The eggs just pop right out and you don't have the issue with how flimsy those silicone pans are. Love egg muffins!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!