Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Salsa Chicken - Crockpot Style

I posted a Salsa Chicken recipe a few weeks ago that my family pretty much went nuts over. Now, I hate to mess with a good thing I really wanted to see if it was crockpotable...because if I can have dinner prep finished at noon (and not when three ravenous children are clawing at me for food around, say, 5:30 while I'm finishing - or starting - dinner), that would be most excellent.

The only way this recipe could be easier, friends, is if it was fixable in a steamer bag (no, I'm not trying that).

Here's what you need: 
  • Boneless/skinless chicken breasts (I get about 2lbs to feed my family of two big people and three little people)
  • 1 pkg. taco seasoning (that stuff that comes in a packet and is about .60). I got the nacho cheese taco seasoning variety and highly recommend it. 
  • 1 jar of your favorite salsa (I chose medium chunky salsa)
  • 1 bag of shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican cheese is good)
Here's what you do: (ready?)
  • Lay the raw chicken in the crockpot
  • Cover front and back of each chicken breast with taco seasoning
  • Cover chicken with entire jar of salsa
  • Fill salsa jar about 1/4 full of water (to get excess salsa out and to add a little liquid) and pour around the chicken - not on directly on top if you can help it.
  • Cover and cook on HIGH for 4hrs. (make sure your chicken looks done; I'm not responsible if your crock takes longer than four hours and you a.) get food poisoning or b.) have ravenous children clawing at your legs). 
  • About 30min before your timer goes off, take the lid off your crock and cover chicken w/shredded cheese (I think I used half a bag). Start your rice.
  • Once your timer goes off, slice and serve. You can use the excess salsa juice on top of your rice - it makes a great Mexican-style rice. 
Enjoy!! (and enjoy not thinking about making dinner all afternoon). :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!