Friday, April 6, 2012

Books on Tape...er...CD...your iPod!

A week or so I shared my thoughts on e-readers; but, this week, I have even more bookworm news for you! Remember when you were a little person traveling in the car for hours and hours with your parents and they pulled out the "books on tape." I went a while...maybe 15 years or so...without thinking about books on tape. I guess I didn't really have time or a reason to use them, but I recently got reacquainted with being read to via my iPod when I was pursuing music on iTunes. There are SO many books that I want to read; and, even though I have my Kindle in tow all the time, I still can't speed read at the rate I'd like to.

These re-formed books on tape are a bajillion times better than when we were little kids - there's no rewinding and you can download an audio file in seconds. There's also a ton of *good* titles available. I think it's a great way to get through that book you really, really, want to read, but can't find the time for. Now, I know what you're thinking, "Hey, crazy lady, when do I have time to sit and listen to a WHOLE audio book?" I bet you have time if you think about it. Ever ride in the car alone? Wait to pick up kids somewhere? Sit in a waiting room? Grocery shop by yourself? Nearly pass out from silence while you're matching socks? Need something else to do while using the treadmill (besides think of reasons to hurry up and hop off the treadmill)? Upload the book to your iPod (or other MP3 player), get yourself some comfy earbuds, and "read" away. One major bonus is, you don't have to listen to the whole thing in one sitting. You can put it down and come back to it as you have time. I've been through books and books and books this way. I'm not gonna lie, I feel like I've learned a lot from these books by just listening. Hmm, too bad I didn't have this skill in school.  I've listened to some great titles from Beth Moore, J.I. Packer, Martha Peace, and others. You can also get some awesome audio books from the library, too. F R E E. You just have to remember to take those back on time...I'm working on that one.

Have you listened to any good audio books lately? Any good recommendations for audio books for kids? If so, let me know in the comment box below.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!