Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Oatmeal + Smoothie Ingredients = Delicious. Who knew?

The People of Pinterest knew! My latest Pin for the Win has been floating around Pinterest for a while. Though I've put some weird stuff in my smoothies, I never considered adding oatmeal (as in uncooked oats) until seeing this pin. I didn't follow the recipe exactly; what, did you expect more from me? I didn't think so. 

I had some fresh strawberries and a banana sliced up to eat with dinner when I decided to take a dinner-table detour and use my share in this oatmeal smoothie recipe later on instead. In addition to the fruit, I added the following:
  • 1/4 of a container of strawberry yogurt (I usually use plain Greek yogurt, but this stuff was on sale for .19 a container at Aldi. I wasn't about to pass that up!)
  • A little ice and water (you can use milk instead of water if you wish. Smoothie Tip: If you use frozen fruit, you really don't need ice.).
  • About 1/4-1/2 cup of uncooked old-fashioned rolled oats. I didn't measure. I know, you're surprised again. 
Just fill your smoothie cups or blenders folks - exact measurements aren't super important here unless you're counting calories, sugar, fat, carbs, points, etc. If you like a thinner smoothie add more milk or water; triple-thick smoothie lovers, add more ice, yogurt, or frozen fruit. (PS. If you use almond milk, you're apt to make yourself a cup of pudding instead of a smoothie - just FYI).

Blend until smooth. Now, for a brief second, I thought I was going to have another PinFTW fail because my blender sounded tired after about 30 seconds. I have a single serving blender and took the cup out a few times, shook it (lids on tight now, friends) and blended the smoothie some more so the blender didn't have to put its grinder hat on to get through all the ice and oats. Blenders can only take so much, you know? 

The outcome? Pretty fabulous. I'll make it again. It's not a chocolate malt or anything (that's a note for my Pops!), but it's a good healthy treat that's easy to make and would be a pretty filling breakfast. If you're using a full-size blender to mix your drinks, I think you could even add some spinach to this to make it healthier yet. I just didn't have room in the blender cup this time. In a future post I'll make sure to tell you all about drinking spinach. Yes, I said drink. It does look disgusting, but it's delicious. Once you try it, you'll be pushing others into spinach smoothie submission as well.

That's it for this Pin for the Wednesday post. Just a reminder...if you haven't entered to win our coconut oil giveaway, be sure to do so. The contest closes on Friday and one lucky randomly selected reader will be sent a quart of Tropical Traditions delicious Gold Label Virgin Coconut Oil ($30 value). Yum! Click here to read all about it and to submit your entry.

----

This post is linked up to Mommin' it Up's Pin for the Wednesday blog carnival. 

Head on over to check out the other awesome pins posted by Mommin' it Up followers.

1 comment:

  1. I just seen something like this yesterday and the lady also made popsicles out of this to have on hand for busy mornings or just a snack. I'll have to give this recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!