Friday, May 18, 2012

Share, please!

If you're parent, you've probably said these words once, twice, or twelve-thousand times, "share, please!" With a house full of little children, I may even say it twelve-thousand times a day. It's just one of those things that takes a while to sink in because we're all inherently selfish beings who prefer our own way. Sharing altercations at our house usually all go the same way:
  • Two non-sharing children scream in sheer terror over one particular toy out of the 87 they currently have spread across the floor. 
  • I reply to the scream from wherever I may be (because I totally recognize the non-sharing scream), "Start sharing, kids!" 
  • After that doesn't work, I have to go confront the two non-sharers, figure out which one started it and re-assign the non-shared toy to the one who appears most convincing...or pitiful. Wait, isn't that the same?
  • This usually results in more non-sharing because...guess why...I corrected their actions, but their hearts are still basking in what's best for them - Mine. Now. Who Cares About You. Oooohhh, how many times do our adult hearts have that same attitude?
Yesterday, we were facing the usual altercation. I was right there and could see what the problem was so I took my sweet offending child aside for a talk. We snuggled up on the couch and had a heart-talk, one that the Lord has had with me a time or two lately. I explained that we are given many gifts, and God calls us to share them all whether we feel like it or not. Sometimes we have to share a little bit, and sometimes we have to share until it hurts.

He calls us to share our homes, our food, our money, our love, our spiritual gifts, our time, our faith, and so on. I explained to that there are times that daddy and I are as exhausted as can be, but we still must share any fraction of what's left with all the kids and anyone else who needs us. We don't do this for ourselves. We don't do this to glorify our own self-seeking hearts (hopefully), to gain worldly acceptance, or to be the hostess with the mostest; we do it because loving Christ means loving others - regardless of if they deserve it or not - because that glorifies Him. And, when we fail to share, it's sinful and hurts the hearts of others. After-all, many others have shared with us time and time again when we needed something. Sharing goes both ways. My little non-sharing offender seemed to understand and made a noticeable effort to be giving...for a little bit anyway. Nonetheless, a seed was planted in the child's heart at that moment.

Growing up an only child, my toys were all mine; my time, all mine; my space, all mine; my concern, all for myself. Though I no longer have to worry about sharing my Cabbage Patch or anything else in my toy box, sharing has been a hard lesson learned for me and it's something we (I) have to practice every day as adults, just like our children. I love these verses on sharing; the Lord has used them to convict and instruct my heart on this very matter:
Matthew 6:3-43 - But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4 so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 
Matthew 6:19-2119 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. 
Luke 6:35 35 But love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. 
Luke 6:38 38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
In this - I'm #1; all about me; just relying on myself; I earned it, it's mine world that we live in - I think it's due-time to reflect on lessons in sharing - childish as they seem. So, I maintain this sentiment to myself and friends young and old - while it's not always the first desire of our hearts, or a desire at all sometimes, Share, please! It's not all about you.

1 comment:

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!