Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A little kitchen discipline...

The last two weeks I've been poking a little fun at my baking skills, or lack thereof, via the pages of this here blog. You can read about my most-recent kitchen experiments here and here (and again on tomorrow's Pin For The Wednesdays post). I've been jokingly tattling on my "Inner-SAHM" mentioning that she's forcing me to bake even though I'm bad at it. I was just sitting here thinking about yesterday's post and the fact that grace is in every little thing. That means that grace is, indeed, in baking as well. I've come to the conclusion that my fictional "Inner-SAHM" character is really beautiful, amazing, multiplying, God-given grace. As deep-thinkin' as this may be, I feel like Christ is refining one of my weaknesses (baking) to make me more faithful overall and to show me more opportunities to serve. 

You see, my problem with baking isn't that I don't like it. In fact, I love a delicious baked good more than about anyone I know...I just prefer when someone else does the baking. My problem is that I'm impatient. I like to do it my own way (which doesn't always work). I mess up a lot (which is followed by a lot of kitchen messes). And, sometimes, it involves asking others for help (admittedly, I don't like to ask for help). Alas, the opportunities to serve others through baking continue to roll in. 



When I think about my most recent baking experiences, they haven't been to put the hush on pregnancy cravings, they've been for my church family, a fundraiser for our dear missionary friends, and my child's school (well, except for that one poke cake that Pinterest kept taunting me with). Now, I've asked God to use me for his glory. And, apparently, this is how He wants to go about it. I've been able to serve in this department with a joyful heart, I just didn't understand (until now) why I was repeatedly doing something that I claim to stink at. I'm not competitive, so it certainly wasn't a matter of keeping up with the Susie Homemakers of the world, by any means. And, FYI, my kitchen concoctions (though not the prettiest) were pretty tasty!

So, as in all things, I give Him thanks. Thank you, Jesus, for pushing me to serve in an way that puts me out of my comfort zone. Thank you for refining my heart to understand you more. Thank you for the resources to serve and thank you, thank you, thank you, for teaching me patienceperseverance, and how to make better cookies through this all. :) Amen.

Have you been put in a position to serve that's out of your comfort zone? I'd love to know about it and how you overcame your fear of being inadequately equipped to do so.


Verses to consider:


1 Timothy 4:8 
For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.

Hebrews 12:11 
No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.

---
This post is listed on the Time Warp Wife's Titus2sday blog link-up. Please head over to Darlene's site to check out all of the awesome blogs linked up today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!