Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Way back on September 29th...

...you know, when we were still weaning ourselves off summer, I took my friend Nicole up on a challenge. She had been going on about how clean eating/Paleo changed her life (and her shape) and posted a shout-out on Facebook daring people to try it for 30 days. So, because I was sick of STILL wearing maternity clothes, am always up for a challenge, I took her up on it. I committed myself to 30 days of clean eating (before I even really knew what it was) via some posts on the blogosphere and by giving my word to Nicole. Then, I started Googling what I'd gotten myself into. I got started the very next day. I went to the library, checking out every book they had available on clean eating and bought a couple copies of Clean Eating Magazine, too. I'm all or nothing, people. Over the last month or so, I've had some delicious food, hardly exercised (exercise is recommended, I've just been lazy about it  busy) and lost 13lbs. This has happened as a result of me eating pretty basic foods and small meals, about six times a day. I haven't counted a calorie, fat gram, carb or point and it's a rare occasion that I feel hungry.

Yes, I've passed up some delicious treats.
Yes, I've oogled over pastries and everything-pumpkin and cream cheese on Pinterest.
Yes, I've taken extra time to make myself healthier alternatives to what's being served (like ice cream).
No, I haven't touched a single piece of Halloween candy (and I won't).
Yes, it's been worth it.

I have to say. I believe clean eating works. There's no catch, people. It's just eating naturally and sticking to it. It's eating more of what's good for you - fruits, veggies, brown rice/noodles, poultry, fish, whole grains, nothing artificial, etc. I can't really say if I have more energy or not - taking care of four kids kind of has a person running on fumes full-time, but I certainly do feel better since shedding my built-in Boppy Pillow some extra weight. So, 13lbs down 58 to go. It seems like a long journey, but if I don't quit I bet it will be over before I know it.

So, thanks, Nicole, for posting the challenge. Thanks to your motivation, my clothes fit much better; my maternity clothes are now back in hibernation; and, I'm totally pumped to see what number pops up on the scale 30 days from now. :) I'll try to be more consistent about posting; please send me your questions/comments on clean eating. I'd love to help you get started!

3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love it! Congratulations! I'd like to know about what is in the plate in your picture. It looks yummy, but besides the chickpeas & ww tortilla, I can't make it out. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's Balela, a Middle Eastern Salad. Mine was from Trader Joe's, but here's a recipe: http://m.allrecipes.com/recipe/218648/recipebalela-salad

      Delete
  2. So happy to see you being sucessful! Keep up the work! I know you are inspiring some of your friends as well!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!