Thursday, November 1, 2012

Sometimes, all it takes is a fresh coat of paint...

I always knew that if I had a little girl one day, her room would have to be pink. I was always an avid pink-lover and figured my girls would have to have everything pink, too. Well, here's the thing... we don't have "a" little girl; we have three. In the last handful of years, we've painted three bedrooms pink. I NEVER thought I'd say this, but a few days ago (after my mom suggested we paint the girl's room light pink), I told her I'd throw up if we bought one more gallon of pink paint. True story. Anyway. Here's the point. Pink room number two has been making me nauseous for some time now. It's not that the color is all that bad, it just felt like a big disorganized mess (because it was) and the louder than a dog-whistle color was just adding to the chaos. So, instead of just organizing the room like a normal person, making the beds and moving on, I figured we needed to scrap the whole thing and start over.

Step 1. I looked, and looked, and looked for matching twin beds for my two older girls who currently share the room. After coming up with a whole lot of nothing for quite some time, I posted an ISO ad and a sweet lady contacted me back the same day. She was offering a couple solid wood beds (about 75yrs old) for $135. HOLLA! If you've been furniture shopping lately, you know that the new beds sold in stores are considerably more than $135. Besides, we love old stuff. I was sold before even seeing them. So, last Saturday we picked them up got them all situated in the girls' room and then I started flying through Pinterest at about 150mph looking for a new paint color (because the red undertones in the wood were WAY clashing with the crazy pink paint and something had to be done quickly. After visiting a few paint departments and grabbing about 100 shades of dusty purple and Tiffany Blue colors, I took a chance. We painted our girls room quite the opposite of pink; it's Tiffany Blue.

Let me tell you. This lovely muted shade makes the room calmer, cozier, cleaner looking and the girls are very pleased! I'm so much a fan of this paint and I'm totally inspired to do more with the room - aside from just closing the door and walking away. As it turns out, we don't need to do a total overhaul. We can keep their comforters, curtains, and wall art (in fact, much of it goes better with this color). We've done a major toy/junk clean out and next is sorting drawers and picking up more decor when the deals arise. I'll be pairing the blue walls with purples, pinks, and yellows as seen in their comforters - with ideas from this room - making it truly a space designed with their interests in mind.

So, if your room is in chaos OR if your life is in chaos, why don't you take a closer look. Sometimes changing the smallest things (like our attitude) makes all the difference.

1 comment:

  1. How beautiful!!! I love how you said that sometimes changing the smallest things make a difference! I really love your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!