Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Clean Cabbage Casserole! YUM!

Hey everyone! I've had numerous requests lately for more information on clean eating as well as recipes and how to eat clean in a cost-effective way. I'm going to do my best to start bringing you recipes and clean eating tips more frequently. To kick off the recipes, here's something easy, inexpensive, and clean for you to try for dinner one night soon - Cabbage Casserole.

So, I was having a little dinner-time insanity tonight. I had a head of cabbage and planned to make cabbage rolls - well, that's what the chef in me wanted. The mom-of-four in me wanted to throw a bunch of crap in a pan, bake for an hour and be done with it. Standing at the counter rolling cabbage rolls isn't all that easy when you have someone asking for juice every 12 seconds. Soooo...we got the best of both worlds. I Googled a few recipes that I didn't like for one reason or another - too much boiling, too many unclean ingredients, etc. Whatever. So, I made something up and it turned out well! It's reminiscent of cabbage rolls without the mess that happens when you make and eat them! Here's how it goes:

Here's what you need:

  • 1lb ground turkey breast, sauteed with 1/2 small onion, garlic and a dash of pepper
  • 1.5c of brown rice, cooked
  • 1/2 jar of clean organic tomato sauce (spaghetti sauce)
  • 1 head of cabbage, chopped
Here's what you do:
  • Cook the rice while you're sautéing the turkey, onion, garlic and pepper.
  • Mix the rice, turkey and onion once it's all cooked
  • Start layering it up like a lasagna in a 9x13: layer of sauce, cabbage, meat mixture, sauce, cabbage, meat mixture, sauce. 
  • Bake at 350 for one-hour
  • Serve and enjoy!
We had a clean Waldorf salad with ours. Chopped apples, celery, and raisins mixed with plain, non-fat Greek Yogurt and a little bit of cinnamon. So delicious! Add walnuts if you desire, also. Let me know what other kinds of recipes you'd like to see cleaned up and I'll do my best to help you! 

Take care!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!