Thursday, January 24, 2013

Brownie Bites (clean-ish)

So, our oldest daughter and I have been wanting to bake some brownies for the last few days (brownie bites, specifically, in the mini-muffin pan I got for Christmas). Something has happened every. single. day. and we just weren't getting to it. We had a little extra time tonight and I was like - "we're going to get this brownie thing taken care of even if we have to stay up all night." Okay, I really wouldn't have stayed up all night, but you see my determination here.

Soooo...I started looking for a brownie recipe online (because I screw up brownies every. single. time. and it MUST be the recipe, not the baker. Right?). Anywho. I discovered something...apparently, most brownie recipes start with "1 box of your favorite box of brownie mix." Seriously? I searched and searched for the right recipe and couldn't find that seemed even clean-ish. So, I did what any mom who must have lost her marbles five miles back hard-core clean eater would do, I made it up as we went along. Weeeee hoooo. I can't say that this is entirely "clean" because it has turbinado sugar and I just don't know the rule on that one quite yet. I've seen it in some clean recipes, but I just can't say with 100% certainty that it is clean. You could probably use sucanat and be fine. That *is* clean. These are husband and kid approved. My husband did mention that they were a little banana-y, but I'm pretty sure he ate six of them (and about half of you probably just clicked out of this post because you're anti-banana). It must not have been an offensive banana flavor, though, or he wouldn't have kept eating them. Anyway. Here's what you're waiting for:

Yields 24 brownie bites, that you may or may not be able to eat half of in one sitting.


  • 1/2 cup melted butter (or coconut oil, if you have it!)
  • 1 cup turbinado (you could try sucanat, I wasn't brave enough...)
  • 1 tablespoon of organic honey (it was going to be pure maple syrup, but ours got moldy. Gross, right?)
  • 1 banana 
  • 2 teaspoons of organic vanilla extract (or non-organic works, too)
  • 1/2 cup of whole wheat flour
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 pinch of salt. 
Bake at 350 for about 15ish minutes. Just keep an eye on these little brownie bites. I wasn't sure how long to bake them; other recipes said 15 minutes for similar treats, so I gave it 15 minutes. Ok, I lost track of time and it was probably 17-19, but you start watching at 15. I don't want to screw up your food. Burnt chocolate is GROSS. I also don't know how to tell you when they're done b/c ours looked like they were boiling for a while. However, when we pulled them out they were good to go! Just don't walk away from them towards the end; that's all I'm saying. 

Got it? Now go enjoy and don't eat these before a weigh-in day. Calories are calories, clean or not. And, I bet you can't eat just one! :)



1 comment:

  1. Ok, looking over this recipe & 1 cup of sugar (whatever kind) seems like a ton compared to the amounts of the other ingredients. I bet you could cut that down a whole lot & sub other "sweet" ingredients instead, like applesauce.

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!