Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Taco Soup - Clean and SO MUCH YUM!

Okay, you guys...I love soup, but I hardly ever make it because I'm really the only soup-eater in this household. We also don't eat chili because we've come down with stomach viruses TWICE after eating it. So, chili is a definite no-no here. I decided, though, that Taco Soup may be a happy medium. I read a bunch of recipes, but when it came time to make it, it came down to using a few things I had and picking up what I could find at the store, quickly. 

Let me just tell you, it was a total success! My non soup-eaters ate it (plus the leftovers); it didn't taste like chili and it wasn't super soup-y either. We loved it and this recipe made more than enough for our family of six (we've been feasting on the leftovers). Here it is, if you want to give it a try!
  • Throw 3-4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, seasoned with cumin, in your crockpot. 
  • Cover with: 
    • a can of black beans with diced jalapeƱos (drained), 
    • can of corn (drained), 
    • a can of rotel chiles (however spicy you want), 
    • 15oz can of tomato sauce and 
    • 32oz carton of chicken broth. 
  • Cook on low for 8hrs or high for 4. It's SO delicious. 
  • Shred chicken with two forks once soup is finished cooking.
  • I also boiled brown rice pasta and incorporated that after shredding the chicken. Plain brown rice would be fine, too.  
  • We had cheese and blue corn chips to top it. You could also serve with a dollop of plain non-fat greek yogurt instead of sour cream for extra yum (and protein!).  
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!