Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Clean Eats - Krabby Patties and More Quinoa!

Yes, it appears I over-browned the krabby patties.
I'm no good with the skillet.
I'm SO ready for summer-time food, aren't you guys? I've been reading a lot of great recipes lately for fresh, light, summery foods. I can't wait to add them all to our weekly meal plans (and by meal plans, I mean whatever I decide to make an hour before dinner time). I brought a couple new recipes to the dinner table tonight; they were super well-received and I want to tell you all about them.

The first recipe is a sweet potato salmon cake from the Queen of Quinoa. I lovingly told the children they were "krabby patties" because, you know, that sounds more like kid food and I thought they'd buy-in. It totally worked; they had two each and I heard the term "krabby patty" used about 817 times at the table while we ate. These were super delicious. Of course, I can't leave well enough alone, so I switched things up a little. Here's my version with just a few mods: 

Here's what you need: 
  • 
½ cup cooked quinoa (I made mine in the rice cooker ahead of time so I wouldn't have so many irons in the fire at once).
  • 
1 medium sweet potato (I used one leftover from the night before - it was baked in foil in the oven and I just scraped it into the bowl)
  • 
1 (6 oz) can wild salmon (skinless and boneless if possible)
  • 
2 large eggs

  • 1/2 white onion, minced
  • 1 tsp garlic, minced
  • 
2 tablespoons cornmeal

  • Sea salt and pepper to taste

  • Canola oil for cooking
Follow the cooking directions found on the original link (simple - mix it all up, form into patties and brown in hot oil, 3-5 minutes on each side until cooked through). 

Even though I really would have been happy with just krabby patties for dinner, I felt like my family would like some sides sooooo....I made some extra quinoa and added some simple ingredients to make a delicious salad/side dish that also went over quite well! 

Here's what you need: 
  • 1-1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa (make extra when you make it for the krabby patties)
  • 1 jar heart of palm (sliced into bite size pieces)
  • 1 jar of pitted black olives
  • lemon juice
  • garlic salt
Here's what you do: 
  • In a large salad bowl, add the first three ingredients. 
  • Season with garlic salt and a lemon juice to taste (start with just a little).
  • Gently toss with a fork.
  • Cover and refrigerate for 20-30min until all ingredients are slightly chilled.
  • Serve and enjoy!
Hope you all love these recipes! Let me know if you decide to try them! :)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!