Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Yeah, it looks like a mess, but I really do know where everything is!

Thinking of organization = this face.
Despite what the "qualifications" section of my now rather dusty resume may insinuate, I'm not the most organized person on earth. In fact, historically, my organizational M.O. has been this: "It may look like a mess, but I know where everything is." In other words, back away while I live amidst the chaos. K? I'm not disorganized on purpose, there are just plenty of things I'd rather be doing (like hanging out with the littles and my hubs, doing kitchen experiments, exercising, loitering at the craft store, taking photos, and playing with my art supplies) than squirreling crap away in little bins and boxes while the clock ticks on. Know what I mean?

Recently, though, I've been feeling a little convicted about my squaller lack of organization. I just can't seem to run the ship as tight as necessary when everything is out of place (or doesn't have a place to begin with). With a husband, four littles, and our business to help with, I've decided that organization has to be a little higher on the priority list than it is. So, I'm overhauling things - task by task and room by room.

The general concept of being an organized person is a little overwhelming for my short attention span. So, we're taking baby steps each day. Here are some little tasks that I've employed to help make life easier and the ship sail smoother:
I am a Thirty-One consultant, for goodness sakes.
I have no excuse for disorganization.

  • Make a weekly meal plan - this is a really hard one for me. I don't know why (maybe because I would rather be impulsive about food?), but it seems I'm always deciding what we're having for dinner about an hour before we sit down to eat. I need to be better at this. :) In the long run, we'll save time and money on groceries if I'm a better steward of our meal money and time. Here's a really good site for meal planning.
  • Make (myself) a chore list - it's true. I need a chore chart. I'm highly motivated by gold stars and colorful charts. Besides, if I don't have a list in front of me, I lose track of what I'm doing. Chore charts work for our six-year-old and they work for me, too. Just saying.
  • Put the laundry away as soon as it's folded Ah, the laundry is often my nemesis. However, because it's unacceptable to go naked...or dirty...the laundry keeps winning. 
  • Purge unnecessary household items weekly (if the crap isn't around, it can't pile up; if it's not in use for a while or finished being used, it may be time to toss, give or donate).
  • Make better use of all the bins, boxes, storage containers and organizers that I have and don't use. In addition, I've been looking to Pinterest for more creative ways to organize. Also, I'm a Thirty-One consultant. Surely you realize how many awesome organizational products we have in this house. LOTS. I've been busy assigning each one a job and it's working out marvelously. 
  • Tidy up! I can't tell you how good it feels to clean all of the scrap papers out of the kids' art boxes, clean off the island or straighten up a book shelf that's been ransacked by the baby. These things take just minutes and make a big difference in the overall appearance of a room.
I have four of these. I could have forty.
Most helpful. bag. ever.
Following these simple guidelines has already made a big difference in getting through each day! I'll be blogging, next, about how I'm attempting to make each room a little more organized. :) If you have any organizational tips to share, I'd love to see them!!

Prov 14:1 (ESV) The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down.

3 comments:

  1. This is a GREAT post! I am in the same boat, recently mended my ways and started doing weekly prep every Sunday- In about an hour or 2 I can prepare a bunch of food for this week! As someone trying to stay healthy it is key to have healthy food ready on hand. Stops me from eating badly! Plus it eases a lot of stress during the week and makes more time for blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sophia! It's always encouraging to know I'm not the only mess-maker around. :) Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Planning all around really does help from eating habits to peace of mind! Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Cooking Planit shout out, Tess! Planning ahead is great advice. I also make tons of lists. I'm not as great with the laundry, but I'm going to remember your advice. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!