Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Spinach Mac & Cheese

Ta Da! Here's what you're looking for.
Raise your hand if you love Costco! I know I do. I try to pick up at least one new food item every time we visit. At one point, they had a limited stock of the very best hummus in the whole entire world. They told me it was limited (I didn't believe them, no one ever believes that), bought just one tub and ate the entire thing in record time. SO, still in denial, I check the hummus/salsa/salad area every time, hoping that my hummus-covered dreams will come true and the best-ever hummus will be there. Alas, it never is. The good news is, that the light spinach dip they have, is phenomenal. I mean...NO ONE needs the full-fat version when you can have this stuff.

I don't know what makes it so good - the greek yogurt? The water chestnuts? The fact that it tastes bad-for-you when it isn't? It doesn't matter. It's just plain good, and if I could buy stock in this spinach dip, I totally would. Ok, that's ridiculous. But, I do plan to get one or two tubs every time I see it at Costco.

Can you imagine the deliciousness?
We shoveled the stuff out of the container with sweet potato tortilla chips first (also from Costco). After about 270 chips down the trap, I decided I should re-purpose the remainder of this dip (it's a giant container) into something that wouldn't cause me gain 7lbs (hey, even light foods will get you when you fail to use moderation). So, with that, our spinach mac n cheese was born. Now, if you don't belong Costco you're wrong or have one close you should move, I'm sure any spinach dip will do. Just make sure you have oh, I don't know, 16 oz or something to that tune.

Ok, enough chatter...here's the recipe! It's SO easy!

Here's what you need: 

  • 16 oz brown rice pasta
  • 16 oz light spinach dip (approx)
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 2 TB melted butter
  • Like my OCD food spacing?
  • 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
Here's what you do: 
  • Preheat your oven to 350 and grab a 9x13 oven-safe dish
  • Boil the pasta (about 7-8 min - until al dente)
  • Once the pasta is boiled, drain the water and pour noodles into the 9x13 pan.
  • Add salt, pepper and butter - stir to evenly incorporate
  • Add spinach dip - stir gently to incorporate
  • Top with mozzarella cheese
Bake 20-25 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden. Serve with veggies and enjoy!! 

PS. I made easy balsamic veggies (load up your favorites - frozen is fine - in a 9x13 pan. Drizzle with EVOO, balsamic vinegar and then season with salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Bake at 425 for about 30-45 minutes, until golden. Time depends on veggie type). 
Easy and delicius balsamic veggies.

PPS. Our 7 year old had two giant servings of this. YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!