Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Clean Eats: Balsamic Chicken Rules!

Balsamic Chicken, Carrot Fries and Fruit Salad with Chia Seeds
I've told you this before, but when we first brought the clean eating lifestyle into our home, we ate a lot of chicken. As my mom says - boneless, skinless, tasteless chicken breasts. It wasn't too long before I learned how to doctor them up out of sheer desperation - for if I served another piece of bland chicken, my family may certainly make reservations somewhere. (I'm being dramatic; they never complained, but it is B O R I N G and I know this). When we buy the big pack of boneless chicken thighs at the store, I usually make chicken cacciatore with them.

I was feeling a little fancy yesterday and decided to do something different. This was a total experiment and turned out pretty much amazing (I love it when that happens). This chicken dish somewhat resembled barbecue chicken, but with out the syrupy/sugary/messy addition of BBQ sauce.

Here's what you need: 

  • Family pack of boneless skinless thighs. (These little guys shrink when cooked, so estimating two per person [or more] it's reasonable). 
  • Cooking spray (I used grape seed)
  • Kosher or sea salt
  • Dried minced onion
  • Garlic powder
  • Crushed red pepper flakes
  • Parmesan cheese, grated
  • Balsamic vinegar
Here's what you do: (Ready? This is REALLY advanced culinary technique)
  • Place the chicken in a baking dish (whatever is one size bigger than the 9x13)
  • Spray chicken lightly with cooking spray
  • Season generously with salt, onion, garlic, and pepper
  • Drizzle balsamic vinegar over all. 
  • Top generously with parmesan. 
  • Place in oven for 30-40 minutes at 425 degrees, or until meat reaches the appropriate internal temperature (mine were a little icy and took almost an hour - just keep checking). 
You will love these! They are crispy, full of flavor, and make great leftovers! Kid and husband approved.

Baked carrot fries make a perfect accompaniment to this dish. Click here for the recipe.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds really yummy! I'm putting it on the grocery list for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!