Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Kale Chips with a Zip


The other day, I posted this meme about chips and salsa.

And, darn it, isn't that just the truth?! My word. I've even tried to convince myself that chips set off my TMJ; alas, I just can't quit them. So, because I love chips AND because I'm trying really hard to be a dedicated clean eater, I decided to make up a batch of kale chips this afternoon instead of diving into the remainder of the Red Hot Blues that are taunting me from inside our pantry. These tasty green treats are quick, easy, and you probably won't even know you're not eating a "real" chip. I mean, yes you probably will because chips shouldn't be green. But, you know, they taste pretty darn acceptable when you're trying to combat a chip craving.

Whenever I get a bag of chips, I usually go for barbecue or another peppery variety, so I made this batch of chips to mimmic my old greasy potato-based faves.

Here's what you need: 
  • A couple big handfuls of washed kale, separate leaves from center ribs (or however much fills your baking sheet with a single layer). 
  • Oil (I sprayed mine down with grape seed oil. Just make sure the leaves are tossed with a nice light coat)
  • Kosher/sea salt; garlic powder; roasted red pepper flakes; dried minced onion.

Here's what you do: 
  • Add clean, prepared kale to a bowl. 
  • Toss with oil and seasonings/spices to taste.
  • Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
  • Bake for about 10 minutes at 350, turning once halfway through cook time. 


These were SO tasty, even my mom and 19 month old baby approved. :) They definitely satisfied my spicy chip craving and I'll be making them again soon. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!