Monday, March 10, 2014

Time to be healthy - starting with breakfast!

Strawberries and bananas were my add-ins here. 
Ok, you guys, winter-boredom-eating has caught up with me. Our family is beyond ready to get back to healthier meal plans and we're starting with breakfast! I just remembered one of my old favorites from our early days in clean eating - overnight oats! I learned about the overnight oats phenomenon a year or so ago. This is such a quick and easy breakfast and it's incredibly filling, too.

I'm all about grab and go breakfasts - I always have been. The bad thing about that is, portable quick foods aren't always the best for you. I've been known to grab a.) a sugary granola bar; b.) a stack of cookies; c.) a high-calorie fast food breakfast sandwich, d.) a cup of coffee, etc. Those breakfasts aren't really sustainable (meaning my blood sugar rage-o-meter is cranking up, starting about 10:30 a.m. until I get some real food in my belly at lunch).

Overnight Oats really give you that energy you need to get from breakfast to lunch (thank you oats and chia seeds!), especially if there's no time for a mid-morning snack.

Here's what you need to know: 

1:1 Oats and Milk ratio (I use 1/2 cup of old-fashioned oats and 1/2 cup of almond milk). You can use any milk you like, but I prefer almond as a general rule. That's just me, though.

1 TB Chia Seeds (here's your protein and fiber!)
1 TB Sweetener (maybe, if you want). This will depend on what else you add in. If you add a super ripe banana and some strawberries or other sweet fruit, you may  not need it. I have used maple syrup, honey and agave. You may choose Stevia, too, but I'd use much less than 1TB because a little goes a long way.
1 TB Greek Yogurt (optional, makes it a little creamier).

Mix-up optional extras (what makes this meal delicious)
-Sliced Fresh Fruit
-Coconut
-Nuts
-Chocolate Chips (perhaps :) ? )
-Spices (cinnamon)
-Peanut butter, PB2, hazelnut butter
-Coconut oil
-Flaxseed
-Vanilla, almond, other flavorings

Preparation:
Mix it all in a jar (mason jar or corning ware mug with lid, etc) and store in the fridge overnight. When you wake up, stir and enjoy!! :)

If you have a favorite overnight oats combo, share in the comments below. :) I've already prepared tomorrow's batch (chia seeds, agave, milk, oats, Justin's hazelnut spread, and strawberries - can't wait). :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!