Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Gingerbread Almond Butter - for the win!

When I was addicted to sugar, my blood sugar used to drop and spike all day every day. I could feel it my bones and in my brain. Terrible feelings. When I started eating clean, those swings basically disappeared and I felt like a normal person for maybe the first time ever. Every now and then, if I wait too long to eat or get out of line with my eating (too much sugar), it will happen. BUT, I have a new solution.


Let's rewind, shall we? At my last job before becoming a stay-at-home-mom, I used to go home for lunch and hit the gas station on the way back to the office; I would grab a candy bar; a 44oz DIET* soda; and some chips or another snack. Awesome, right? THAT way, if I reached that moment of blood sugar desperation I was...prepared? Now that I think of it, it was more of an "armed and dangerous" scenario. 

Now I know that if my blood sugar drops or if I just have a "need to eat" moment, a much better choice is to grab some protein! Hardboiled eggs are often my go-to, but I don't always have them ready. If my blood sugar has dropped - ain't nobody got time to boil eggs. SO, I like to have some type of natural almond or peanut butter around. Usually a spoonful brings me right back into the atmosphere and all is right again. 

The trouble with natural nut butters is this...they are seriously pricey. SERIOUSLY. I am guilty of paying $10-$12 a jar for a fancy blend. That's not really frugality, friends, which is what I aim for at the store. 

The good news is this - if you have a high-powered blender or food processor, making your own nut butter is easy! I want to share a recipe with you that I made a test-batch of earlier today. 

This recipe is meant to mimmic our favorite molasses cookies; our family loves these, but they aren't super good for you. This almond butter is a pretty tasty alternative, much healthier, too!! I am guesstimating measurements, below. Please adjust to your needs and taste preferences.

Gingerbread Almond Butter
  • 1 cup roasted almonds (I roast mine for 3-4min at 350 on a cookie sheet)
  • 1/4 cup fractionated/liquid coconut oil**
  • 1-2 TB organic molasses 
  • 2 TB pure maple syrup
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/2 tsp sea salt/kosher salt
Follow your manufacturer's directions for making nut butters in your food processor or blender. YouTubing videos may be helpful if you've never made homemade nut butter before. It's a trial and error process and requires patience - but it is so worth it in the end!

That entire bag of almonds, at Costco, was around $13. So far I've used them in a few batches of sesame cookies, this batch of almond butter and there's still plenty left. I think this DIY almond butter will be more delicious, nutritious and cost effective than anything you can get at the store.

Now for the asterisks...

*Diet soda. I drank diet soda every day for many years - through my teenage years and into adulthood.  I would be doing you a big disservice if I didn't share this info with you. It may not be confirmed as a carcinogen - but there are plenty of other reasons to avoid it. Read on to learn more. I have experience with all of these symptoms and can vouch that this isn't media sensationalism. Switch out your soda for water, tea or 100% fruit juice. 

**Liquid coconut oil/FCO is not the same as the solid coconut oil you probably buy (not the kind I buy and use for everything from makeup remover to recipes and household cleaners); FCO stays liquid! You can use traditional coconut oil in this recipe, but the consistency will not be as nice and it will solidify in some temperatures (like the fridge). I know the health benefits of FCO are probably not as great, BUT, it's my preference. I don't like my almond butter to get...funny. 

K? 

Just FYI, I used my Vitamix 5200's dry container to mix up this batch. Use of the tamper was required. YouTube Vitamix nut butter for more detailed instructions and demo videos. I ain't no pro, the kitchen is just my favorite room in the house. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!