Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I'm not obsessed with Costco.

No, really. I'm not. I *do* mention it a lot on Facebook because, well, Costco is new to our area and inquiring minds want to know. I've been shopping at Costco for almost two years (thankful I no longer have to make a 40 min trek each way to do so). I've learned about many great products during that time and I try to share what I find and spread the good foodie news.

That is all.

Because we have a family of six (soon seven), I just take my grocery money straight to Costco each week and buy-big for a great value. I rarely go to other grocery stores now and usually end up spending less stocking up at Costco and the food usually lasts us more than one week because of quantity. I went this evening and stocked up on lots of fresh fruit; some frozen fruit; fresh veggies; eggs; cheese; chicken for my family; and...as one of my friends lovingly pointed out, on Instagram, bulk Oreos. They are for the kids, not me. I promise. I am totally grossed out by Oreos this pregnancy. Thanks, little baby. Looking out for mom already.

What are we going to do with all that food, you ask? Oh, I have plans for it....

  • You'll note about 12 pounds of bananas up next to the eggs. Two of our children have been channeling Curious George and there's no limit to the number of bananas they put down in one day. I also usually have one per day in a smoothie and blend some into smoothies for the other kids as well. 
  • Eggs. Our two-year-old begs for eggs (ooh, a rhyme) every day. So, we need to make sure we have plenty around. Also, if I'm out of ideas for dinner, eggs and waffles or pancakes it is. I keep the ginormous bag of Costco pancake mix on-hand for such desperate times. We also love hard-boiled eggs and egg breakfast sandwiches. I also love to scramble eggs and add them to rice and veggies, like we did this evening.
  • Cutie oranges, strawberries, and grapefruit are all for snacking. 
  • I have a couple big bags of frozen fruit in there - pretty much just for blending with spinach and coconut water. 
  • Lemons - for enhancing water or smoothies.
  • Broccoli and mushrooms - for endless things. Crustless quiche, roasting, stir-fry, rice casserole, etc.
  • Onions - I love to have a big bag of onions on-hand because...well...it's hard for me to imagine most dinners without the taste and smell of onion included.
  • Cheese - grilled cheese, of course! The kids love it and it's a quick and easy lunch for them (and me) to put together. It's also great for a quick snack if someone is losing their blood sugar and starting to get grouchy. 
  • Ginormous bottle of vinegar - cleaning the house, making buttermilk and dressing salads! :) 
  • Sweet Kale Salad - so, so delicious
  • Rotisserie chicken - part of tomorrow's dinner! I have no idea what the other part is yet...
Yum, yum, yum. I can't wait to wake up tomorrow and start blending and cooking some of these delicious Costco finds. 

I plan to make some chocolate almond butter as well, so look for a post on that. :)

But first? Coffee. 

Hope you all have a lovely week and eat some great and healthy meals!

1 comment:

  1. Chocolate Almond Butter sounds amazing to this momma- to- be!! :-D

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!