Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Vegetable Lasagna

I love food - cooking and eating, but mostly eating. There's something about sitting down to eat with friends and family that provides an easy forum for some of life's finest conversations. I've been trying new recipes lately to add to this experience. Yesterday we tried out one of my favorites, vegetable lasagna.


I've had it a few times, but I've never made it myself. I guessed at what I thought went in there, based on other lasagna recipes, and used my traditional red sauce/meat lasagna recipe for a basis. To my surprise it was easier than regular lasagna and my family enjoyed it more. My five year old kept saying, "I love sushi. I love sushi." There wasn't sushi in the lasagna, but, you know, she loved what she thought was sushi and I wasn't going to deter her. I think she was referring to the round slices of zucchini. :) My husband said it's the best veggie lasagna he's ever had. Here's the recipe I put together if you feel like whipping one up yourself. Trust me, it's easy!

Ingredients: 
  • 1 box - Barilla no-bake lasagna noodles
  • 2 jars - fettucine alfredo sauce (you can make it yourself, but I think it costs way too much and tastes no different).
  • Veggies - your choice, I used three zucchinis (yellow and green) and a large pack of baby portabella mushrooms (sliced)
  • Garlic
  • Olive Oil
  • 15oz - ricotta cheese
  • 2-3c - mozzarella cheese
  • 1/2c - parmesan cheese
  • 2 - eggs
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions: 
  • Preheat your oven to 375 and grease a 9x13in glass baking dish
  • Sautee the veggies and garlic in olive oil just until they're tender.
  • In a separate mixing bowl, gently mix the following ingredients: ricotta, two eggs, salt, pepper, and parmesan. 
  • Layer your ingredients in the following way: 1c sauce, about 1/3 ricotta mixture, 1/3 veggies, and top with 1/3 mozzarella. Add the next layer of noodles, sauce, etc. Continue layering that way until you get to the top of your dish. I can usually make three layers. On the top layer, cover with sauce and remaining mozzarella cheese. 
  • Cover dish with foil and bake at 375 for 50-60min. Remove foil and bake uncovered for the last five minutes or until top begins to take on a golden hue. 
Serve with a salad and garlic rolls. D-lish!

PS. This is going to sound really gross, but if you're out of eggs, you can substitue 3T of mayonnaise for each egg needed (2 eggs = 6T of mayo). It works and no one will ever know except you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!