Monday, February 25, 2013

Smoothie Q.

I don't know what's up with the post title, I just thought it sounded cute. Anywho. Smoothies are my favorite, you guys, and while I have a few favorite standby recipes, making a good smoothie is a lot simpler than you may think. If they weren't simple, I wouldn't have time to make one for breakfast every day. You see, by the time I get to the end of blending, I have at least one kid (sometimes two) asking for a cup of water. By the time I'm finished drinking my smoothie, someone needs the potty seat from whichever bathroom it was left in when the last potty emergency occurred.

You see, I love my littles. I love to take care of them and help them and love on them, but I need to plan my breakfast accordingly; mixing up a bunch of delicious/nutritious crap in the blender every morning and gulping it down (whilst giving myself a frozen head) allows me to take care of their needs and eat, too. So, without holding you up any longer, here we go! Weeeeeee!

Non-Liquid Ingredients 
  • Frozen fruit (mixed fruit, strawberries, blueberries, mango, pineapple cherries, tropical blend) 
  • Non-frozen fruit/veggies (strawberries, banana, blueberries, avocado, peaches, beets)
  • Spices/extracts
  • Spinach or kale
Liquid Base (pick one)
  • Water
  • Milk (cow's, almond, soy, rice)
  • Orange juice (100%, no sugar added)
  • Other 100% fruit no sugar added or veggie juice
  • Cottage cheese (plus water - I've done this out of desperation. It's fine. I'll leave this one up to your discretion).
  • Plain Greek Yogurt
Optional Add-Ins (pick none, one or some)
  • Ground flaxseed (for some Omega-3s and added fiber)
  • Clean protein powder
  • Coconut oil (boost metabolism, antioxidants, and about 100 other great reasons)
  • Spinach (You can add spinach to almost any recipe; it will make your smoothie look disgusting, but most likely you won't be able to taste it. This works well in fruit based smoothies, though I've added it to a chocolate/pb/banana smoothie and lived to tell about it. Just. be. adventurous.)
  • Kale
Sweeteners
  • Honey (just a drizzle)
  • Stevia 
  • *Frozen very ripe bananas often eliminate the need for other sweeteners

Combinations I like: 

  • Frozen banana, mixed fruit (or strawberries or blueberries), raw old-fashioned oatmeal, water, honey (just a drizzle). 
  • Frozen banana, unsweetened cocoa (like 2-3T), cinnamon, 1T natural PB, a drizzle of honey, and almond milk.
  • Mixed frozen fruit, spinach, water, honey, and baby carrots. 
  • Orange juice (100% pure juice no sugar added, y'all), pineapple, 1T of coconut oil, and ice.
  • Frozen banana and 100% orange juice.
  • Frozen peaches, almond milk, drizzle of honey, half a banana (frozen is ok).
  • Frozen blueberries, banana, almond milk and honey
  • Frozen strawberries, banana, almond milk and honey
  • I haven't tried it (bc I am allergic to avocado), but I've heard avocado with banana, ice and almond milk is awesome.
Tips: 
  • The easiest way to freeze bananas is to peel them (when they are very ripe), put them in sandwich bags and break them up into small pieces once in the bag, before freezing (or slice them up...that's too conventional for me).
  • Try to get a protein source in your smoothie - especially first thing in the morning. Protein helps knock out sugar cravings. It's very important to make sure you're getting enough!
  • If you use oatmeal in a smoothie (I love doing this because I want the benefits of oatmeal without actually eating a bowl of it), blend it super well. You don't want to chew your smoothie; well, I don't want to chew mine, anyway. 
  • If you plan to make smoothies every day, get a good blender. I love our Ninja personal blender (with a pitcher and smoothie cups). It is a little more costly, but it saves a ton of time and absolutely destroys whatever you put in it. 
  • Just go with fruits and liquids that you like and make your own recipes. Smoothies can be as simple or complex as you want. Sometimes frozen fruit, honey, and water are the best!
  • I make the first and second smoothies, listed above, all the time. Once you find something you love, just go with it and vary the ingredients here and there. I hope you love making smoothies as much as I do! 
Let me know what your favorite recipes are; there are a ton of great ones out there! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!