Monday, April 22, 2013

I went outside, and lived to blog about it.

If you know me even a little, you probably know that I'm an indoors girl. If I'm outside, it's for a reason (e.g., walking to and from the car, taking a walk, taking photos, going to a BBQ or because I locked myself out of the house [again]). I can't remember ever liking outside. I've been swarmed and stung by an entire nest of yellow jackets; I've had more tick bites and random bee stings than I can count; I've fallen out of a tree onto my back; I've leaned up against a trashcan only to have my skin covered in fiberglass particles; I've busted up my face on a patch of ice; a big snake snuck into our bunks at girl scout camp; birds have crapped on my clothing; a bicyclist ran me off the bike path while I was roller-blading; I've been tossed from seat to floor while going over rough waters on a boat and I can't stand amusement parks. That's a whole other story. I also don't care for weather too hot or too cold, I'm a 72 and sunny kind of girl. You see, in addition to my serious environmental allergies (all trees and grass and basically anything that blooms), there's really no reason for me to be outside. It's just an accident waiting to happen.

Alas, I have four little darlings that want to go out. And, as much as I would love to just read books, cook food, and play house all day turning them into little hermits like myself - I have to put my selfish desires aside and go...out there. It's uncomfortable for me to be outside; and, I'm awkward (at best) pretending to navigate the great outdoors well, but I do it anyway. You know, for them. For those little people who are clawing at the door - ready to go play - as soon as the sun comes up.

Yesterday, we took a hike with my mother-in-law, Willing Cook and her crew. As we treked through the wilderness, I couldn't help but think how (to me, anyway) hiking through the unsteady terrain, hopping muddy waters (and occasionally getting my foot stuck) and carefully darting around throrn bushes can also be like our walk as followers of Christ.

You see, friends, when we follow Christ, we aren't guaranteed a bed of roses. Sometimes we walk a thorny path of challenges and struggles. Sometimes we do have opposition, persecution, and uncertainty smacking us in the face. We often find ourselves stepping over barbed wire, pushing branches out of the way, and dirt out of our mouths. Much like my quest outdoors, though, we have to step aside our innate desire to seek self-fulfillment. We have to trust in Jesus, and Jesus alone, when those times happen. One of my biggest daily challenges, in my walk with Christ, is forcing myself to step aside and know that He has it all figured out. Maybe that's yours, too?

I can't help but think that He's using my children to help separate me, from myself. I can't help but think that He uses the little mundane details of life, like wearing my baby through some muddy trails while chasing after another, to humble me; to separate me from myself; to make me more like Him.

Phil. 4:13 - I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

Having challenges and struggles? Please let me know how I can pray for you.


GraceLaced Mondays
PS. This post is linked up with Ruth and all the wonderful bloggers at GraceLaced.com. Please go visit each of their blogs to read more AND be sure to congratulate Ruth on her new baby - her 6th boy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!