Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Why My Fitness Pal really is your friend...

Tess didn't quite exercise today. So sad, too bad.

I really don't feel like keeping a food journal, you guys. I'd much rather cross my fingers day after day and hope that I'm not overeating. Sadly, as I told you yesterday, that hasn't been working out so well for me lately. I spent a little extra time with MFP tonight (just before starting this post), finishing my food diary for the day and adding some of my favorite recipes to the database so I won't have an excuse to eat with reckless abandon later.

This is what 1oz of hummus
(and 1 cup of cucumber) looks like.
I know you always wanted to know.
While doing so, I realized how important MFP really is, and here's why...

I made a scrumptious jar of overnight oats (complete with a delicious FRESH peach) that will be ready to eat when I wake up tomorrow. While my oats have all "clean" and healthy ingredients, I was kind of surprised when I did the math in MFP. That little jar = 400+ calories. What! I could almost have a McGriddle for that (I know, I know, I could also have clogged arteries, too). All of the little things really do add up and it's super important that we pay attention to them as not to over-eat.  I'm not going to drive myself nuts trying to eat exactly 1,200 calories a day, but I will certainly use that as a baseline and try not to go much over. Just knowing that I'm going to put down 400 calories at breakfast tomorrow morning will allow me to plan my meals accordingly for the rest of the day. Looks like more hummus, cucumber and a piece of fruit for lunch tomorrow. Speaking of that...I also measured out 1 oz of hummus today (as not to over eat there either); Let's just say, I probably usually eat 12 servings a day. MFP is really putting things in perspective for me, and it's only been one day! I'm hoping all this "homework" pays off quickly.

Also...

If you look at my little graphic, above, you'll see a big fat -0- under the exercise column. I know I said  that I was going to start Turbo Fire today. Well, you see, I also said I was going to quit coffee today. Guess which one I did? My word. No coffee = no energy. I had a unsweetened tea mid-day, but that basically just kept my eyes open enough to cook, serve, and clean up dinner and keep the children from tearing the house down for the remainder of the day. Tomorrow, I'm going to try Dandy Blend. It's supposed to be a seamless replacement for coffee. We'll see. I'll report back on how awesome (or not) it is after I try it out.

Cheers, y'all!

2 comments:

  1. Tess, I am on this journey with you. Using sparkpeople to track my food, and Body Media to track everything else. YAY. I am also doing my best to eat clean this month!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great, Megan! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Have something to share? I'd love to hear it!